TV Host/Writer Launches Website


From being one of the hosts of ntv7’s ‘The Breakfast Show’, to starting his own column called ‘Growing Pains’ with The New Straits Times (NST), Ben Ibrahim is an up-and-coming media personality. Now, as he launches his own website, Ben, who is also a freelance emcee, said, “I would have never in my wildest dreams thought about setting up a website. I am not a Hollywood celebrity or rock star. But clients kept asking me for samples of my work, so instead of steering them to Facebook or Google Search, I thought a website was a more professional approach.”

Ben spent his formative years in Australia and returned to Malaysia after completing his Masters in Management Studies (Human Resources) from Monash University, Melbourne. He never planned for a career in television and fell into this line purely by accident. While working full time in the corporate sector, he was a freelance television commercial talent and was what he calls “in the right place at the right time”. A producer, who was also a friend, asked him to go for an audition.

“I told them to turn around and select the other talents as I felt they were better looking and had also studied media. But the producer convinced me to try, and once I got in, I made the most of it and thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Ben has been in Malaysian television for the last five years. His first show was hosting ‘Absolute Football’ with Astro. After two years, he switched to ‘The Breakfast Show’ with ntv7. This led to other opportunities which included hosting ‘The 2007 Rugby World Cup’, ‘The 2008 Olympic Games’ and online programmes with gua.com.my Every show has been a milestone in Ben’s work experience but he still considers ‘The Breakfast Show’ as the highlight of his career.

2008 was the year Ben started his own columns with NST and FHM Magazine. His column ‘Growing Pains’ is about youth lifestyle issues, while in FHM, he writes about events that he attends as a celebrity. Ben said he has always liked writing and put his opinions on paper and share it with people.

Over the years, TV and media hosts have come and gone, but Ben said he is in it for the long haul and sees himself as a career broadcast journalist. “I love the journalism aspect of the job. I am not really concerned about fame, but you need to be a little famous to get work. My long term goal is to travel the world, interview interesting people and ask tough controversial questions.”

He added, “I want to be chased by a tank in Iran, I want to interview Barack Obama when he tries to get re-elected for office, and I want to cover the story when Malaysia qualifies for her first football World Cup.” These are big dreams, and the website a small step, but it is a sign of bigger and better things to come for this ambitious journalist. This website is a portal for fans and friends to get an update on his latest articles, TV shows and events that he attends. For the latest updates, log onto www.benibrahim.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments